Thursday, January 27, 2011

Suprising Comfort

As I left our busy neighborhood and drove my daughter and classmates out to their country school, the peace of the wide open space began to seep into my soul like water into a dry sponge. I felt this change like a welcome companion as I left the bustling businesses and traffic choked hwy behind. The majestic beauty of Mary's Peak easing out from under the blanket of fog greeted our progress. A bald eagle rose off the valley floor and flew a man's height above our vessel. Quickly approaching the 40mph twist over Muddy Creek's swollen veins, I spied orange orbs presenting themselves in a small patch on the hillside. The dilapidated dwelling to the South looked like a lonely friend in need of some attention. Unknown horses struck the ground and tossed their heads wrapped like dolmas in their blankets at the corner where a horse my children called "Snowball" once begged for apples. Knowledge of their breathe was revealed in small clouds of condensation escaping their nostrils. Turning onto the final stretch a Christmas tree farm sat neatly in rows shadowed by the coast range mountains. The patchwork quilt of fog and trees clearly presented the inescapable intertwining of man and nature. Dropping the children off and returning on this trip back to my home, I already felt as if I were there.

This drive has always been a bit of a welcome homecoming. My grandparents had a dairy in the coast range mountains West of Eugene when I was growing up. The connection to the land I feel along with the education I received through visiting their farm is invaluable. Food is another direct connection to that land that I cultivate by growing a small amount of what we consume. The following recipe is as comforting as the beautiful scenery I experience when I drive carpool and as relatively simple as anything you can make in the kitchen (you can even grow all the veggies here):

The salad:

1 head of broccoli cut into florets
1 cup of fresh peas (or thawed frozen)
1 cup of shredded rotisserie chicken (optional)
4 stalks of cilantro finely chopped

The dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil or canola oil
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 Tbls. brown sugar
3 Tbls. tamari
2 Tbls. lime juice
1 tsp. powder ginger or 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 clove of finely chopped garlic

Arrange salad in a bowl starting with the broccoli. Put all ingredients for dressing in a jar with a tight lid and shake vigorously. Pour dressing over salad and toss, or serve salad and have individuals add their own desired amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment